As a mother knows that breastfeeding is good for the health and development of the baby. However, breastfeeding sometimes has an obstacles that most mothers must meet at least one of the following:
The cause of sore nipples are:
- You are not doing the breastfeeding in the right way, so the baby only suck at the nipple.
- Your baby may have fibrosis under the tongue.
- The removal of the nipple from the baby’s mouth in a wrong way. The correct way is the mother must press the baby’s chin to open the mouth and then remove the nipple from the mouth of the baby.
- Misunderstanding that the nipple must be cleaned by using a cotton ball to wipe the nipple before breastfeeding. Cleaning too often causes friction and can cause nipple lesions easily.
How to cure sore nipple?
- Let the baby suck on the side that is not broken first because when the baby is hungry, he/she will suck more strong.
- Change the position, such as changing from the diagonal carrying posture to carrying a football position in order to change the position of the baby’s mouth.
- Use the Multi-Mam Compresses after feeding the baby to relieve sore nipples. It will make you stay on track of breastfeeding sustainably.
- Heal broken wounds by using 2-3 drops of breast milk and apply on the nipple area. Breast milk will help heal wounds on the nipples then wearing a bra every time.
- Using the Multi-Mam Compresses for 30 minutes – 1 hour before carrying the baby into the breast in order to reduce the inflammation and prevent the infection without wiping or washing before carrying the baby into the breast. Washing or wiping frequently will cause the wound to heal slowly.
- Stop using the milk pump machine first. Some of a milk pumps have strong suction power and it will hurt your breast. Using your hand to squeeze the milk instead if there is a sore breast pain.
During the first 2-5 days, the breast will create more milk to be ready for raising the baby. The causes of breast stiffness are
- The body generates excessive milk.
- You did not do breastfeeding regularly.
- You did not breastfeeding in the correct way.
How to cure breast stiffness?
- Wrapping around your breast with warm moisture cloth before breastfeeding for 3-4 minutes.
- Wrapping around your breast with cold moisture cloth after breastfeeding, or using the towel swaddle and ice to compress the breast by changing the position continuously to reduce pain.
- During the breastfeeding, you can massage you breast to soften the breast. It will make the baby suck more easily.
- You should feed you baby frequently which is every 2-3 hours.
Mother who has large nipple
Baby can’t breastfeed if you have large nipples and breast stiff because the newly born child has small mouth and body. However, it is not a big problem because you can squeeze milk into the glass and then feed your baby. Until the baby has more strength to suck from your breast.
If you have a breast pain, you can take pain-relieving medication such as paracetamol which does not contain other medication ingredient. Because of some ingredient will reduce the production of milk. You can eat 1 tablet before breastfeeding for 15-30 minutes.
If you have the symptoms above, you should not stop breastfeeding because it will reduce the amount of milk. When your baby drink a lot of milk, the amount of milk will produce a lot as well. On the other hand, if the baby does not drink milk, your body will produce less milk which will result in milk ducts and mastitis. This will not be good for both you and your baby. The best way is to consult a doctor or pediatrician to find a solution for the problem.